All the commemorative markers are identical, and were put in place by TUDC (Tonbridge Urban District Council). They are undated.
The first is situated outside the Public Library on the corner of The High Street and Avebury Avenue. It's hard to imagine a tollgate in this busy area of the town, but until the coming of the railway the southern part of Tonbridge, as we know it today, simply did not exist.
|Outside the Public Library on The High Street|
The second marker is on the corner of Hadlow Road and Mill Lane. This was one of several tolls along this route and it was there until 1868. There is an undated photograph of this location on
The final tollgate marker can be found on Shipbourne Road. This one is very hard to spot as it sits behind railings and is slightly hidden by foliage. The location is directly opposite the petrol station that is next to The Royal Oak pub.
|Shipbourne Road tollgate marker|