Wednesday 25 January 2012

Falling in Love at Tonbridge Farmers Market

Jo's Milk Jug

It's not often a milk jug inspires a blog post or that a simple milk jug is inspirational in any way.  However, I fell in love with the most charming floral jug on Jo's cake stall at the last Tonbridge Farmer's Market.  As always I had stopped at Jo's for my customary cake and coffee, that I tend to savour in the Market Eatery which, might I add, has become a monthly social meeting place for many of us Tonbridge people. 

Month by month I am trying to work my way through Jo's splendid array of mouth-watering cakes, and this time I couldn't resist a massive slice of deep golden moist carrot cake crowned with buttery topping.  My friend plumped for the coffee and walnut cake which was equally as large, and equally as inviting, and graphically topped with a whole boletus-brown walnut.  It looked so good I'll definitely be trying that one next time.



It was when I came to pour milk into my steaming hot coffee that I was first introduced to the beautiful vintage jug.  For a short moment the Englishness of pretty pink roses and rosebuds cast me back to nostalgic tea times of my past, and then followed a flurry of photographs and declarations of  admiration of the splendid fine bone china object.  I think the bemused Jo thought I was quite mad, but she did reveal that since she had been using the pink pattened jug customers had been more than complimentary of her choice of crockery. 

I'll be back for the coffee and walnut cake when the market is back in town on the 12th of February, and I hope Jo returns with this little' piece de resistance'.  I might even ask her if she wishes to part with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment