Tuesday 7 June 2011

Man of Kent or Kentish Man?

Man of Kent Pub sign - East Street Tonbridge
An idyllic Kentish scene.  A Man of Kent with scythe in hand works the field cutting and gathering his crop.  White clouds billow in the blue sky above a backdrop of oast houses.  His hat shades him from the sun and he leisurely smokes his pipe whilst harvesting. The grain is mature and is bountiful and will feed his family and community.  The Bakers will offer daily bread.  Hops will dry in the oasts and produce local ale.  The image is full of symbolism.  Is this the contented, self sufficient and hardworking Man of Kent?


Locals would probably say if you are born on the North side of the Medway that runs  through the town you are a Man of Kent, and if you came into the world on the South side you are a Kentish Man.  But that's just us locals.  It's all very ambiguous as there are those who say that anyone born West of the River Medway is a Man of Kent or East a Kentish Man.  Even more confusing is the school of thought that it has absolutely nothing to do with the River Medway but the border is in Rainham, well slightly outside Rainham at at little place named Rainham Mark.  So if you are born West of the border at Rainham Mark you are a Man of Kent and East of the border you are a Kentish Man.  All very baffling.


I have also been reliably told that The Man of Kent pub in East Street is actually east of the Medway which makes this all the more muddled.  This may be why us local use the north and south of the river distinction.  It's just easier.  And, to confuse matters even more a Man of Kent is often referred to as a man of honour and a Kentish Man an ordinary man.  The Man of Kent on the pub sign seems to be rather an ordinary man throwing everything into disarray.

6 comments:

  1. The Man of Kent pub in East Street is both North and West of the Medway, which runs from northeast to southwest across the county, so your logic is correct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Tonbridge all my early life until 1970. Simple rule: all pubs called the Man of Kent are north/west of the Medway and Kentish Man the other side. However all males born north/west of the Medway are Kentish men and those born south/east are men of Kent. i.e. the opposite way round to the pubs! Well that what I was told 5O years ago.

    Born a man of Kent now a Shropshire lad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in the Slade area of Tonbridge and I've always thought of myself as a Kentish Maid not a Maid of Kent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born in Bromley back in 1961 and I have always considered myself to be a Kentish Man based on the much publicised Medway divide theory. Imagine how I felt when I moved to North Tonbridge 9 years ago only to find two local pubs called the Man of Kent, on 'my' side of the Medway, in Tonbridge and East Peckham! Disillusioned, I now consider Rev Pegge's theory, that these are terms for people of different social standing, to be far more believable. However, I am not ruling out the Rainham Mark geographical divide theory. We are tribal aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would call that a Londoner as its the London Borough of Bromley Kentish Man my Arse

      Delete
  5. Bromley is yes in fact a London borough and it's still Kent, London has swallowed much land. In the same way as the whole County of Middlesex is now in London. Bromley is still Kent but under London durustinction. If all depends on if you want to identify as what ever the government tell you or not, personally I will not allow the government to dictate my identity,

    ReplyDelete