Friday 11 May 2012

Foraging in Tonbridge

This is not the usual Tonbridge Daily post but it is in a way related to the town.

St George's Mushrooms

Whilst out and about in Tonbridge yesterday I discovered giant rings of St George's mushrooms hidden in long grass. They are one of the few good tasting edible mushrooms that can be found in the Spring, and are associated with the saint as they tend to appear in late April/early May around the time of St George's day.



The mushrooms are pale in colour and always have firm flesh particularly when they are young, so they are perfect for use in cooking and for preserving.  A distinguishing factor is their smell which is unmistakably 'mealy'. They taste sublime and go particularly well with asparagus, chicken and wild garlic.  Personally, I prefer mushrooms unadulterated and simply fried in a good oil - this way they retain their taste and smell.

Foraging Fry-up

Never eat any fungi that you are unsure of - I am extremely lucky as I have learned how to identify fungi from an expert, who is always on hand to check over what I have picked. 

2 comments:

  1. I found some a week or so ago adjacent to the footpath leading from The Yews up towards Coldharbour Lane. Well at least I think I did as they looked and smelt right but wasn't confident enough to take them home and cook them. Yummy looking pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you find some let me know and I'll get them identified for you. I did keep a few back to give to Wendywoo but she hasn't been in the office. Sorry, they've been eaten now!!!!

    ReplyDelete