Wednesday 27 March 2013

Have you ever spotted a baby pigeon

Yesterday I was wandering around the town, and noticed there was a lot of activity going on through a hole in a boarded up window in Bank Street.  Pigeons were going back and forth through the small opening at a rate of about 1 every 10 seconds carrying twigs, and other things suitable for nest building. It was really fascinating to watch.

So, I asked myself why I'd never seen a baby pigeon. Perhaps you are one of the lucky ones who have actually seen one of these rare sights. I certainly haven't, and with so many of them in Tonbridge it seemed a little odd. We see common garden bird fledgings being fed by their parents, so why don't we see baby pigeons?

Apparently our run-of-the-mill town pigeons build their nests in the nooks and crannies of our urban townscape, and seek out quiet places reminiscent to their native cliffside habitats. The babies, or squabs, are well hidden and safe until they can survive on their own and are almost fully grown. Usually by the time they fly the coop they look as large as a fully grown pigeon, so it's difficult to tell if it is a youngster when they are seen out and about by us unsuspecting humans.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled as I'm determined to spot one, but if anyone does or manages to take a photo of a baby pigeon let me know.

1 comment:

  1. It's about time this lovely old town house was brought back to it's former glory; do we have a vacant buildings officer?

    ReplyDelete