Tuesday 28 June 2011

Blooming Marvellous



In all truthfulness I am not a gardener, but after my visit to the Chelsea Flower Show this year inspiration caught hold of me, and I started a flurry of garden planning.  So, when I saw that the North Tonbridge Horticultural Society was holding their Summer Show I thought I would top up my enthusiasm, and see how the experts do it.  I wasn't disappointed as I waded through the coloured displays of flawless flowers and marvelled at the skill in growing the perfect vegetable.

First Prize Spring Onions - Mr. B Cook

Now it wasn't quite Chelsea, but the scent from an impressive display of sweetpeas was divine, and reminded me of the famous flower show's marquees. Other categories on display were scones and traditional Victoria Sponge making, jams, formal flower arranging and a fantastic collection of winemaking - no tasting though.  Oh to have been the judge.  I spoke to a lady member of the Tonbridge Winemakers Club who explained there were no grapes used in the bottles on display but a  combination of fruit and berries (very impressed), and she shared that last year's raspberry vinegar was good remedy for sore throats.



First Prize Gooseberries - Mr B Nicholls


Expert advice was on hand at the plant stall so I now have plenty of plants for my own my newly planned Chelsea inspired garden.  All this garden show stuff is not usually my thing but it proved to be an afternoon full of ideas and inspiration for a budding new gardener like myself.  Where's the trowel.

No comments:

Post a Comment