Tuesday 13 September 2011

Spot of Archery Anyone?

Mayor of Tonbridge and Malling - Councillor Brian Luker

Whilst at the Medieval Fair on Saturday, and sheltering from a short shower, I was joined by our very own Mayor of Tonbridge and Malling, Councillor Brian Luker and his spectacular Chain of Office.  I had never met our Mayor before, but had heard rumours and read of tales of 'The Hairy Mayor' and 'Brian Whiskers Luker, and so I was pleasantly surprised to be confronted by a rather well groomed gentleman with a neatly trimmed moustache.  We discussed pleasantries such as William Tell and the Olympic sport of archery, whilst commentating on the brave few in front of us who were propelling arrows from their bows, some meeting their target but others landing off-target and on occasions bouncing off a model deer.  I did mention to our Mayor that I really didn't approve of the ethics of this, but thought that the animals may merely have been used to create the ambience of an authentic forest, and after all it was a Medieval Fair and they did hunt to eat in days gone by!!!  I wonder if he had-a-go when I left?  I somehow don't think he did.  I think like me he was simply sheltering from the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment