Thursday 6 October 2011

A Hive Of Information

Terry Clare - Beekeeper and Lecturer


The old romantic in me has idealistic notions of a cottage industry producing jars of homespun Kentish apple and cherry blossom honey with pretty countrified labels, and to be honest my family think I have lost the plot.  So, when I was told that an expert on beekeeping was coming to Tonbridge to lecture on this very subject it was not an opportunity to be missed.

On Monday evening I was a guest at a meeting of the North Tonbridge Horticultural Society where Terry Clare beekeeper extraordinaire gave a totally fascinating talk on ‘A Year in the Life of a Beekeeper’.

My front row seat ensured I saw all the beautiful images from the maestro’s presentation of close up shots of bees and the interior of the hives.  The hexagonal cells of the honeycomb resembled a work of art to me, and once again my mind wandered back into my romantic territory of whitewashed hives dotted around a sunny orchard.

Mr Clare explained that our culinary lives would be extremely dull if it wasn’t for bees as every colourful food we eat comes from a plant pollinated by bees.  Carrots, courgettes, apples would not exist.  Without bees we would only feast on wind pollinated food such as porridge, pasta and bread, so we have a lot to be thankful for as far as the humble bee is concerned.

The talk covered how to identify bees from wasps, the different bees, the history of hives, the honey making industry and the extraction of the golden nectar. Apparently that animated bundle of fluff we know today as the bumble bee was formerly known as the humble bee until around the middle of the 20th century – probably because as they fly, they hum.

I really must thank the North Tonbridge Horticultural Society for welcoming non-members as guests, and giving me the opportunity to attend such an interesting talk given by one of the most eminent speakers of the beekeeping world.  The hall at St. Philips was packed and every available seat taken.  It was a splendid evening and a friendly crowd. I must not forget to thank the ladies who organised the refreshments at interval time, as for 35p I had the best cup of tea I have had for years.  This must be the cheapest cuppa in town and it was with biscuits too.  Well done ladies.

It is the society’s 40th anniversary this year and not many local clubs can claim to have been going for this length of time.  So if you are interested in anything horticultural, have an allotment or a little flower patch there would always be a warm welcome to new members who will benefit from talks on a wide variety of topics from gardens to foreign travel.  There are three shows every year and members enjoy organised outings and discounts at local outlets.  Contact Carole Passey, Secretary on 01732 352707 or email carole.passey@gmail.com

I did have a personal chat to Terry Clare about my interest and he is sending me details on local beekeeping courses.  So will my idealistic notions of my own cottage industry stay in the realms of my dreams?  Maybe not!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment