Thursday 20 October 2011

Recognising Tonbridge Recognised

Victorian Dragon Finial
Look up at Cafe Nero
The dragon was correctly identified by an 'Anonymous' reader as sitting on the roof above Cafe Nero in the High Street.

Dragon finials or ridge dragons, as they are sometimes known, are typical of the Victorian era.  Their purpose was not only a decorative device to emphasize the apex of a roof, but for the superstitious it was believed to ward off witches and other evil creatures.  Victorian architecture and art was highly influenced by the Far East, and often 19th century ornamental roof dragons reflect Chinese decoration. 

So remember to look up before going into Cafe Nero and spot the dragon looking down on you.

3 comments:

  1. This was the Dorset Hotel many years ago - PS did you see my reply to the "B" Mineral Company

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing this out. I have since written a small post with before & after photos on the Nero building. Yes, I did read your reply about the B Mineral Company, thankyou - I am so sure I replied. Your theory is certainly a good one and could well be correct - it makes sense and is logical. I still need to dig deep into my shed and find the bottles I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dragon looks quite cool up there at the very top. Indeed, long ago, it would be used to ward off the supernatural, though it's current job as a great roof ornament is pretty nice as well. It's like an exclamation point, accompanying and emphasizing a good roof.

    ReplyDelete