Saturday 14 September 2013

A Total Failure!!!!


With all great intentions to capture a birds eye view over Tonbridge I joined one of the Heritage Open Day tours of the Parish Church Tower today.

Although I am not too good with heights, I was determined to climb up the medieval spiral staircase to the belfry, and then ascend the final steeper steps to the very top, where I wanted to take photographs of the old town below. I probably could have even looked into my garden (and the neighbours).

I failed completely!!
It didn't help that one member of my group had brought a safety helmet along to wear (bit excessive) and that struck panic into me at the offset. After clinging on tightly for dear life to a rope on one side of the claustrophic stair well, and the wall on the other, I managed to go up about 6 steps, until fear took over, and I turned around to get my feet firmly back on the ground.

I managed this one wobbly photograph.

If you have a better head for heights than me, you'll have the opportunity to get to the top of the tower tomorrow. Tours will be running all day from 11am to 4pm.

Let me know if you do and send your photographs in so that I can include them on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment