Saturday 26 October 2013

Another tagged eyesore - or not?

Craig J Cogley 1987-2001 Your Spirit will roll on in our hearts and memory

When I first spotted the tags on this memorial bench I felt saddened that yet again another case of grafitti was littering our town, and creating another eyesore. But, when I read the memorial inscription, and realised that it was in memory of Craig Cogley I changed my mind, and thought he may have appreciated the marks on his bench.

The bench dedicated to 24 year old Craig looks out over the skatepark in the Sportsground, and it was here that the keen skater spent much of his time skateboarding, and mentoring less experienced skaters than himself.

My thoughts on this are that maybe this is an exception where tagging is ok especially if it is left by friends of Craig. In fact if this is the case, it really is a fitting and meaningful memorial to the young skater.

No comments:

Post a Comment