Sunday 1 December 2013

Tonbridge Daily Photo

Tonbridge Daily Photo #396 - Advent Wreath
Having a German background the start of the Advent season signals the lead up to Christmas. I love this time of year for all its traditions, and even though I live in Tonbridge I try to keep them all up. One important tradition is the Advent Wreath, and it's found in almost every German home. Yesterday people would be busily buying a wreath and decorating it, or choosing one at their local market. The four candles signify the four Sundays before Christmas, and today is the first Sunday in Advent. This means the first candle will be lit, just for today. Next Sunday the first and second candle will be burning, and so on until Christmas.

I found this Advent Wreath in Tonbridge Parish Church yesterday. Today one of those candles will be burning brightly, and so will the first candle on my Advent Wreath. I love this time of the year, and now Advent has begun I can start to enjoy all that the run up to Christmas offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment