Friday 20 July 2012

In Loving Memory

When I was studying at University I lost a very dear friend in sudden and tragic circumstances. A south facing bench was placed in the library square in her memory, and would I often sit there in the sunshine, either over lunch or coffee with other colleagues, or on my own to study ... to think ... or just to remember. 

Barden Lake

Yesterday was one of those rare quiet and calm evenings, and I decided to take a stroll over to Barden Lake with my camera. I noticed that there are a number of memorial benches sited around the water, and thought how comforting it must be to have to such a beautiful and serene place in Tonbridge to remember loved ones.


She Loved This Place

Overlooking a rolling bank of grass strewn with purple and yellow summer flowers is a bench in memory of Hollie. Her young life remembered with the poignant words 'Smile When You Can'.  I was particularly touched by the slightly tired bouquet of sunflowers and feathers resting on the seat, left by her family with the message that she continues to smile in their hearts. Who could fail to smile at the view!

Purple and yellow wild flowers at water's edge

Smile When You Can

It's been a number of years now since I lost my friend, but if I'm passing the university I'll make a detour to the campus, buy a coffee and sit on the bench in the library square, reflect on old times, and remember how she loved the hustle and bustle, debate and energy the space offered. That's the beauty of a memorial bench - it's a focal point for personal time and memories.

Next time you have an opportunity to walk around Barden Lake, take the time to read the inscriptions on the benches, and enjoy the very same views and beauty on our doorstep that those remembered here too came to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment