Thursday 11 October 2012

Recognising Tonbridge Recognised

Many of you correctly recognised the building in the photograph as Stephens Hairdressing.  In my eyes it hasn't changed too much over the years, but I do have to admit I prefer the original windows, and wish that there were more of the same on the High Street. The picture was featured in an  advertisement I found in a 1906 guide to Tonbridge.




In the early 20th Century there were a number of businesses trading from this spot, and by 1909 Harry Thomas, the umbrella maker, had moved his business here. Eventually Harry moved on, and in 1919 the ladies outfitters, Withers and Company took over the premises. Browne the Tailors followed and then the clothier known as Woodwards moved in.

I find it really interesting researching and learning the history of the High Street buildings, and I'll see what else I can unearth in pictures for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment