Wednesday 14 November 2012

Mysterious Tribute

A tiny button shape caught my eye as I walked past the Boer War Memorial on River Walk this morning.  I took a closer look at this little circle propped up on the stone beneath the inscriptions, only to find it was a badge from Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh. I wondered who had placed it there. Could it have been a relative? A grandchild or great grandchild?



Amongst the flowers surounding the memorial was a solitary cross of remembrance bearing a poppy, but the rain had smudged the handwritten words leaving it indecipherable. If the name had been legible it might have given me a clue as to who had left the badge, and if the two were connected.



Whoever left this little circular tribute at the base of the obelisk obviously wanted to keep the memory of someone alive. I love the romantic mystery of it all, and if there is someone who could shed some light on this please get in contact.

Could this be the start of a novel????


1 comment: